About Sleep Disorders
Four Common Sleep Disorders
- Department of:
- Adena Regional Medical Center
If you struggle with sleeplessness and find yourself feeling sluggish during the day, it’s possible you suffer from a sleep disorder. Untreated sleep disorders raise your risk for a number of serious health concerns, including heart disease and stroke.
The four most common sleep disorders are insomnia, sleep apnea, narcolepsy and restless leg syndrome (RLS).
- Insomnia is defined as difficulty falling and staying asleep during the night.
- Narcolepsy refers to a condition in which the sufferer randomly falls asleep throughout the day.
- Sleep apnea disrupts normal breathing during sleep, causing sufferers to wake up throughout the night (although many people are not aware of waking up).
- RLS disrupts sleep by causing discomfort in the legs while lying down. This discomfort might appear as prickly, tingling or otherwise unpleasant sensations. Often, RLS sufferers wake up throughout the night and then feel tired during the day.
If you suspect you’re suffering from a sleep disorder, you should contact a health professional and consider undergoing a sleep study. Adena’s Sleep Center can help determine if you have a disorder, along with the type and severity. These studies are vital because you might be unaware of your behavior during sleep.
Most sleep disorders are treatable, and often simply adopting a more regular schedule can be the solution. Sometimes medication also is recommended as a treatment.
Browse our medical staff, read bios and watch videos to find a Physician or an Advanced Practice Provider that best fits you and your family.
We offer a variety of departments at our many locations throughout southern Ohio. From primary care to specialty departments; we want to help you get better quicker.
Our facilities are located throughout southern Ohio to make it easier for you to find outstanding and convenient care, close to home.
1450 Columbus Ave Washington Court House, OH 43160