Learn to enjoy the sun safely
To learn more about the Adena Cancer Center or to request an appointment, please call 740-542-3030.
Limiting extended exposure to the sun and avoiding tanning booths are the best ways to prevent skin cancer. While avoiding sunlight completely is impossible, proper sun care can help you minimize your risk of skin cancer, which is prevalent throughout Chillicothe and south central Ohio.
Sun safety tips:
- Avoid exposure to the sun between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m.
- Use sunscreen and lip balm of a sun protection factor (SPF) of 30 or higher. Apply 30 minutes before sun exposure and reapply every two hours or immediately after swimming or sweating.
- Wear a hat, shirt, and sunglasses that protect against sunlight.
- Follow these precautions even on cloudy or overcast days.
- Avoid tanning beds and sun lamps.
A critical component in skin cancer prevention is understanding the major risk factors, which include:
- Pale skin (easily sunburned)
- Excessive or unprotected exposure to ultraviolet radiation including sunlight and tanning booths
- Exposure to coal tar, pitch, creosote, arsenic compounds, or radium
- Family history of skin cancer
- Abnormal or multiple moles
- History of severe sunburn
Browse our medical staff, read bios and watch videos to find a Physician or an Advanced Practice Provider that best fits you and your family.
We offer a variety of departments at our many locations throughout southern Ohio. From primary care to specialty departments; we want to help you get better quicker.
Our facilities are located throughout southern Ohio to make it easier for you to find outstanding and convenient care, close to home.