After a Stroke: Retraining the Brain
If you have questions about Adena's stroke rehab services call 937-981-9400.
Adena Greenfield Medical Center Stroke Rehabilitation
Stroke can affect the way you think, how you walk, your ability to speak, and even your ability to get dressed in the morning. To help ensure that these deficits are not permanent, fast treatment in the emergency department followed by fast stroke rehabilitation is essential.
The goal of rehab is to retrain the brain to reverse some of the stroke’s effects on a person’s movement, speech and cognitive function, and research shows that starting rehabilitation therapy as soon as possible can help a stroke victim recover faster and better.
Adena Greenfield Medical Center offers patients a comprehensive inpatient stroke rehabilitation and is the only facility in the area to be accredited by the Commission on Accreditation for Rehabilitation Facilities (CARF) as a Stroke Specialty Unit.
Physical therapists focus on movement, while occupational therapists work to restore a patient’s ability to perform daily tasks such as getting dressed. Therapy sessions last about 45 minutes, allowing time to rest in between, and three meals a day are served in the dining room, which helps patients feel at home and provides a sense of community.
Additional Outpatient Therapy Services
The Adena rehab team believes there’s more to rehab than physical, occupational and speech therapy. Adena also offers:
- Recreational Therapy. If the patient is a golfer or plays cards or sews, therapy is designed to help them get back into those activities. Part of recreational therapy also includes Adena’s Enabling Garden, which combines rehab therapy with nature.
- Community Re-Entry. During community re-entry activities, Adena therapists accompany patients to banks, grocery stores and restaurants. The patient re-learns how to get in and out of a car, maneuvering a walker if they use one, make decisions and interact with servers and bank tellers. (Offered at other Adena locations.)
- Psychology Services. Adena’s rehab psychologist helps patients identify and cope with the emotions, such as frustration, anger, or depression, that may be caused by the stroke.
- Outpatient Rehab. Once a patient is discharged, they’ll typically continue their rehab in the center’s outpatient rehab unit. Research shows that patients who continue their rehab can continue to make great gains. (Offered at other Adena locations.)
- Support Group. The group meets from 11 a.m. to noon on the first Thursday of every month at the Greenfield Public Library. This FREE support group is open to all stroke patients and their caregivers regardless of where they were treated.
Browse our medical staff, read bios and watch videos to find a doctor that best fits you and your family.
We offer a variety of departments at our many locations throughout southern Ohio. From primary care to specialty departments; we want to help you get better quicker.
Our facilities are located throughout southern Ohio to make it easier for you to find outstanding and convenient care, close to home.