Learn more about Adena Hospice
An important component of the Hospice program is the work performed by volunteers who offer companionship for patients and caregivers, run errands, assist with the bereavement program, and/or help with clerical and administrative tasks.
Sign up to become an Adena Hospice Volunteer
Not only does being a Volunteer give you a chance to make a real difference in others’ lives, Adena Hospice also offers valuable skill training at no cost to you. Through initial and continuous training, you will gain the knowledge needed to confidently provide patient support.
As an Adena Hospice Volunteer, you will learn:
• Hospice philosophy and ethics
• The concepts of death, dying, and grief
• Interpersonal communication skills
• Care and comfort practices
• Working knowledge of terminal illnesses – Respect for spiritual/cultural differences
• How to interact with families
• Stress management techniques
• How to respond to grief
• Processes and regulations of hospice care
• Patient Transfer Skills Training
• CPR Certification
What do volunteers do?
Comfort the grieving
The passing of a loved one leaves a void, no matter how well-prepared. Volunteers offer solace in a variety of ways, such as:
• Recording the life story of a patient using photos or video
• Making keepsake items for families
• Consoling family members after the loss of their loved one
Even though Hospice is a nonprofit agency, there still are many day-to-day business aspects of the organization where volunteers can contribute. People are always needed to:
• Help in offices with medical records, filing, computer data entry, mailings, making phone calls, copying materials, and other general office duties
• Serve as members of fund
Hospice volunteers offer comfort and support, and provide social interaction while helping patients and families with stress and anxiety. Examples of how volunteers help are:
• Visiting with patients at their homes or a care facility
• Running errands for a patient or family member
• Providing caregiver relief for families so they can enjoy some personal time
• Celebrating patient birthdays by delivering a cake
• Engaging patients with simple recreation such as games, music, or conversation
• Showing honor and recognition for life accomplishments such as military service
Do you have questions?
Ask, get answers, and find out if becoming a volunteer with Adena Hospice is right for you. Call 740-779-4663 to attend a no-obligation introduction.
Apply to get more information or become an Hospice Volunteer today.