Finding a Pediatrician
Finding a Pediatrician
Several months ago, you went through the process of finding the perfect obstetrician, but when is it time to make an effort to find a pediatrican who will treat your child for the next 18 years or more?
Your baby’s first exam will be three to five days after being born, so new parents should begin finding a physician about three months before the baby arrives. The first step is to determine whether your family prefers a pediatrician, a family practice physician, or a nurse pratitioner. So what’s the difference?
Ohio pediatricians specialize in working with children. After medical school, they complete a three-year residency focused on pediatric care and are required to stay current with children’s health care practices to recertify with the American Board of Pediatrics every seven years.
Family practice physicians treat people of all ages. Many families opt for a family practice physician so that they only need one doctor for the entire family. This may be beneficial because it allows the physician to be more familiar with the health history of the family.
Nurse practitioners, also referred to as advanced practice registered nurses (APRN), typically hold a master’s degree in nursing and are board certified in a given specialty, such as pediatrics or family practice. They are licensed to diagnose and treat injuries and illnesses and can provide regular health care services for kids. Nurse practitioners in Ohio practice under a collaborating physician; however, the nurse practitioner and physician do not need to practice on site together.
Find a Pediatrician - The Interview
The next step is to interview some potential physicians. You’ll need to consider where they are located and whether they are on your insurance plan. You can view the doctor’s videos on their profile pages. Here is a list of other questions you may want to consider:
- Do they offer office hours in the evening or on weekends?
- Do they have same day appointments if your child is sick?
- How easy is it to get through over the phone? What about calling after hours?
- How far in advance do you need to call to schedule a routine checkup?
- How much time are you spending in the waiting room before your scheduled appointment?
- Is the office environment kid-friendly and comfortable?
- How many doctors make up the practice?
- Is the doctor’s style and personality compatible with yours? Do you feel like the doctor is open to your needs?
- How does the doctor respond to issues that are important to you? i.e. disciplining your child, immunizations, circumcision, breastfeeding?
- Would your doctor refer to Adena or another hospital of your choice?
Ready to find a pediatrician, family practic physician or CNP? Browse Adena's Pediatricians to find one that is right for your family.
Browse our medical staff, read bios and watch videos to find a Physician or an Advanced Practice Provider that best fits you and your family.
We offer a variety of departments at our many locations throughout southern Ohio. From primary care to specialty departments; we want to help you get better quicker.
Our facilities are located throughout southern Ohio to make it easier for you to find outstanding and convenient care, close to home.