Childbirth Classes and Education
Childbirth Education is not only the gathering of facts, but the growth of knowledge, confidence, and trust in the birth process.
Adena’s Women and Children’s recognizes Childbirth and Breastfeeding as a natural and healthy experience. By working together to empower women and their families, we will provide them with the knowledge, skills and support to achieve their personal goals in the way they have chosen.
At Adena Women and Children's Center we feel that “all our babies are special deliveries”.
Due to COVID-19, we will be doing classes online through WebEx. Please be sure to include your email address when registering and we will send an invite with the meeting access information.
Below you will find a list of our Free Childbirth Educational classes for the whole family.
Expecting Mom's and their support person will be prepared for their pregnancy journey, along with labor and delivery experiences.
Many topics are discussed:
- Childbearing Anatomy
- Preterm Labor
- Signs of Labor
- Stages of Labor
- Comfort and Breathing Techniques
- Labor and Pushing positions
- Medical Procedures during Labor, (IV’s, Monitoring, Inductions, and Pain control options)
- Vaginal Deliveries
Designed not only for the mother, this class provides helpful tips for the support person as well. Classes are taught by a Certified Childbirth Educator.
Expectant mothers should attend this class approximately two months prior to the baby’s due date.
Classes are led by a Certified Lactation Consultant. Breastfeeding education includes:
- Benefits of breastfeeding
- Breast milk composition
- Breast-fed baby behavior
- Positioning and latch-on techniques
- Information regarding breastfeeding and returning to work
Classes are once a month.
Baby Day Camp
This class will offer plenty of tips to help in the care of your newborn.
Class is recommended for parents, grandparents, and caregivers. Education includes:
- Safe Sleep and comfort techniques
- Bathing your Baby
- Infant and Car seat safety
Classes are once a month. Be sure to check the events calendar on the homepage of adena.org.
Many new moms worry that continuing to breastfeed once they return to work will be too difficult. We will address the most common issues in an easy-to-understand manner that will help working moms gain confidence and learn that with a little planning, they can successfully continue breastfeeding well beyond maternity leave.
- Planning During Pregnancy – communicating with supervisors, finding pumping space at work, breastfeeding-supportive childcare
- Preparing at Home for Your Return – establishing a breastfeeding routine, practicing pumping, introducing baby to bottle feeding
- Returning to Work – morning time-saving strategies, pumping tips, breastmilk handling and storage guidelines
Be sure to check the events calendar on the homepage of adena.org.
Teen Class - "Baby Bumps"
Pregnant teens have a lot to deal with- schools, boyfriends, parents, jobs, and friends- but having a healthy baby should be at the top of the list of priorities. Our teen program is a positive, open-minded program. This class will educate, encourage, and guide teens through a healthy pregnancy. They will have information to help them through their birthing process and recovery. We will also provide education covering the following topics
- Dr. Appointments
- Birth Control
- Labor and Delivery
- When to call the Doctor
- What to eat during pregnancy
- Alcohol, tobacco, caffeine, and street drug usage effects
- Growth and development of you baby
- The importance of staying in school
- Feeding and care for your baby
Classes are one-on-one, times are flexible and set up to meet the teen's needs. Class is recommended for ages 13 and up.
Browse our medical staff, read bios and watch videos to find a Physician or an Advanced Practice Provider that best fits you and your family.
We offer a variety of departments at our many locations throughout southern Ohio. From primary care to specialty departments; we want to help you get better quicker.
Our facilities are located throughout southern Ohio to make it easier for you to find outstanding and convenient care, close to home.