- Service Line
- Radiation Oncology, Cancer, Oncology
- Phone Number
About Greg Thompson
Dr. Greg Thompson is a radiation oncologist, a specialty in which he almost exclusively takes care of cancer patients with specific expertise in delivering X-ray and electron based treatments to target and kill specific areas of cancer. He sees patients with all types of cancer, but the most common cancers are lung cancer, breast cancer, prostate cancer, and cancers of the head and neck.
Dr. Thompson felt a vocation to medicine early on in life, as his father is a medical oncologist and mother is an oncology nurse.
He chose radiation oncology as a specialty for several reasons. First and foremost, he has the ability to work with patients at a critical impasse in their lives. There are two patient populations that he generally sees, those with curable cancers and those who need radiation therapy for palliation. In both situations, there is empowerment using radiotherapy treatments to impact the lives of people in a meaningful way either towards a cure or to relieve suffering.
Other reasons Dr. Thompson chose radiation oncology includes the flexibility of schedule allowing him to spend more time with patients, the technological aspects of the field including training and expertise in medical physics, and the ability to perform more specific radiation treatment procedures using radioisotopes.
“I chose to work at Adena to be part of a growing and thriving community cancer center. My family and I found the community at Adena and in Chillicothe warm and welcoming. I grew up in Columbus and wanted to be close to that area, but was interested in living outside of a city. In the end, it was a no brainer.”
- Enjoys spending time with family, photography, soccer, hiking and traveling
- Wright State University, Boonshoft School of Medicine, Dayton, Ohio
- Medical School
- Kettering Medical Center, Department of Internal Medicine, Kettering, Ohio
- University of Cincinnati, Department of Radiation Oncology, Cincinnati, Ohio
- Board Certified by the American Board of Radiology, ACLS/BLS Certification, Ohio State Medical License
- Alpha Omega Alpha, American Society for Therapeutic Radiology and Oncology
- Cancers of the head and neck, lung, breast, and prostate, palliative and end of life care.