Finding a Pediatrician
Finding a Pediatrician
Several months ago, you went through the process of finding the perfect obstetrician, but when is it time to start looking for the doctor who will treat your child for the next 18 years or more?
Your baby’s first exam will be three to five days after being born, so new parents should begin finding a doctor about three months before the baby arrives. The first step is to determine whether your family prefers a pediatrician or a family practice physician. So what’s the difference?
Pediatricians specialize in working with children. After medical school, they complete a three-year residency focused on pediatric care and are required to stay current with children’s health care practices to recertify with the American Board of Pediatrics every seven years.
Family practice physicians treat people of all ages. Many families opt for a family practice physician so that they only need one doctor for the entire family. This may be beneficial because it allows the physician to be more familiar with the health history of the family.
Interviewing a Pediatrician
The next step is to interview some potential doctors. You’ll need to consider where they are located and whether they are on your insurance plan. You can view the doctor’s videos on their profile pages. Here is a list of other questions you may want to consider:
- Do they offer office hours in the evening or on weekends?
- Do they have same day appointments if your child is sick?
- How easy is it to get through over the phone? What about calling after hours?
- How far in advance do you need to call to schedule a routine checkup?
- How much time are you spending in the waiting room before your scheduled appointment?
- Is the office environment kid-friendly and comfortable?
- How many doctors make up the practice?
- Is the doctor’s style and personality compatible with yours? Do you feel like the doctor is open to your needs?
- How does the doctor respond to issues that are important to you? i.e. disciplining your child, immunizations, circumcision, breastfeeding?
- Would your doctor refer to Adena or another hospital of your choice?
Browse our medical staff, read bios and watch videos to find a doctor that best fits you and your family.Show More
We offer a variety of practices at our many locations throughout southern Ohio. From primary care to specialty practices; we want to help you get better quicker.
Adena Family Medicine - Piketon
Adena Family Medicine of Chillicothe
Our facilities are located throughout southern Ohio to make it easier for you to find outstanding and convenient care, close to home.Show More
Adena Medical Office Building
4439 State Route 159
Chillicothe, OH 45601