Learning How to Manage Your Diabetes
Call Adena Endocrinology and Diabetes Care today at 740-779-8268 or request an appointment online.
Is it better to eat a candy bar or drink orange juice if your blood sugar suddenly drops?
Did you know that a fat-free sugary carbohydrate (fruit juice, honey or skim or 1% milk) will raise your blood glucose levels faster than a high-fat carbohydrate such as chocolate?
Did you know that low blood sugar is just as dangerous as high blood sugar?
Whether you are newly diagnosed or you’ve had diabetes for some time, Adena’s diabetes and endocrinology team can help you become more informed about your condition and help you learn how to manage it. We offer individualized counseling and education in these areas:
- Nutrition – Knowing what kind of foods to eat, and how to determine carbohydrates and food portions can be intimidating and time consuming. Adena has the resources to help you make wise choices. We recommend an annual review of your dietary needs and concerns.
- Insulin and Pump Education – There are often a lot of questions about insulin and the use of insulin pumps. Our knowledgeable staff can teach you how to effectively manage your diabetes when using insulin or an insulin pump.
- Medications – With so many diabetes medications available, how can you know which ones are right for you? Learn the benefits and side effects of each to make informed decisions with your endocrinologist.
- Exercise – Time and again you hear that you need to add exercise to help manage diabetes. Let us help you determine exercises that are best for reaching your goals and how to achieve maximum benefit from exercising.
- Hypoglycemic Awareness – This complication results from blood sugar dropping low and not being aware of it. It can affect either Type 1 or Type 2 diabetics and occurs from tightly controlled blood sugar. Talk with your doctor to learn how to recognize and reverse this complication.
For more information about our diabetes education and counseling services or to schedule an appointment, please call 740-779-8268.
Support Groups and Classes
Group classes taught by certified American Diabetes Association educators also are available at Adena Regional Medical Center. For more information, call 740-779-7691
Diabetes is a serious health concern in our community, which prompted Adena Health System to hold "Empowering You to Live Well" on November 14, 2015. The Diabetes Expo was created to help educate and empower those with diabetes to live a healthier lifestyle. You can download the slides from the presentations below.
Browse our medical staff, read bios and watch videos to find a doctor that best fits you and your family.
We offer a variety of departments at our many locations throughout southern Ohio. From primary care to specialty departments; we want to help you get better quicker.
Our facilities are located throughout southern Ohio to make it easier for you to find outstanding and convenient care, close to home.