Justin W. Smith, MD
- Internal Medicine
- Phone Number:
- (740) 941-5180
- Fax Number:
- (740) 941-5178
- Medical School
- University of Cincinnati College of Medicine, Cincinnati, Ohio
- University Hospital, Cincinnati, Ohio
- Internal Medicine - University Hospital, Cincinnati, Ohio
- State Medical Board of Ohio
- Professional Memberships
- American College of Physicians, Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society, Gold Humanism Honor Society
- Smith JW, Koshoffer A, Morris RE, and Boissy RE. Membranous Complexes Characteristic of Melanocytes Derived from Patients with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome Type 1 Are Macroautophagosomal Entities of the Lysosomal Compartment. Pigment Cell Res. 2005 Dec; 18(6):417-26. "Thrombotic Thrombocytopenic Purpura Following an Episode of Acute Pancreatitis: A Proposed Mechanism." Abstract presented at the Ohio American College of Physicians Conference. 2009.
- Clinical Interests
- Preventative medicine and public health.
- Research Interests
- I am currently involved in a survey-based research project through the University of Cincinnati correlating depression scores with various markers of adherence and intermediate metabolic outcomes. I have been involved in prior basic science research projects involving Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome and the effects of denervation on chemoreceptor morphology.
- I enjoy running, mentoring, racquetball, basketball, politics, and spending time with my family.
Southern Ohio native, Dr. Justin Smith, MD, with Adena Family and Internal Medicine - Waverly, Ohio, enjoys establishing close professional relationships with his patients. As an internal medicine physician, Dr. Smith is experienced at taking a detailed, thorough approach to managing multiple chronic conditions, including obesity, diabetes, high blood pressure, and high cholesterol. Condition permitting, Dr. Smith also will take a holistic approach and work with the patient to make lifestyle changes to reduce the number of medications needed and improve their quality of life. Dr. Smith is experienced in caring for seniors (geriatric medicine) and takes a pro-active approach with a focus on preventive care.
As a family physician at Adena Family and Internal Medicine - Waverly, Dr. Smith puts his patient’s interests first, establishing strong relationships with them. He is always up-front, open and honest in his patient communications. By establishing this relationship, his patients become more than just a patient record number.
Dr. Smith is board certified in internal medicine and a member of the American College of Physicians. He is also an adult medicine specialist in internal medicine. During his time in medical school and residency, Dr. Smith received several awards.
Dr. Smith enjoys watching and participating in sports and running. In 2007, he completed the Cincinnati Flying Pig Marathon in less than four hours. Trivia fact: Dr. Smith was the owner of the 1996 Grand Champion Market Hog at the Pike County Fair.