Douglas M. Smith, CNP
- Hematology/Medical Oncology
- Phone Number:
- (740) 779-8575
- Fax Number:
- (740) 779-8579
- Graduate School
- The Ohio State University , College of Nursing, Columbus Ohio
- American Academy of Nurse Practitioners American Nurse Credentialing Center Ohio Board of Nursing Florida Board of Nursing
- Professional Memberships
- American Academy of Nurse Practitoners, American Assembly of Men in Nursing, American Nurses Association, Ohio Nurses Association, Sigma Theta Tau Nursing Honorary
- Clinical Interests
- Internal Medicine, Pallative Care and Hospice
- Research Interests
- HIV/AIDS, Infectious Disease, Communicable Disease, Palliative Care, Hospice, and End of Life Needs
Doug Smith was born and raised in Circleville. He earned a Bachelor of Science in Business Administration and went on to receive a Masters in Natural Resources and a Masters in Public Policy and Management before deciding to go into nursing.
During this time, his research and clinical experience focused on HIV and AIDS, as well as Oncology. His first job as a nurse practitioner was in Miami, Florida where he stayed there for two years prior to moving back to Ohio. He came to Adena in 2010 as a Hospitalist NP. Doug then moved over to the Adena Cancer Center in 2013 where he now serves as a certified nurse practitioner seeing patients and being a team lead, where he manages the oncology nurse navigators, social workers, clinical trials program, cancer registry, and nutrition programs.
Doug is an avid environmentalist. He worked in stream and wildlife habitat restoration and environmental planning for a government agency in Southwest Ohio, Northern Kentucky and Southeast Indiana for several years. He also wrote several grants as part of the Clean Water Act and Ohio EPA. Doug also is an avid mountain biker, and past president of the Southwest Ohio trails Association.
“The reason I like living in this community is because it gives you a sense of home and peace. I wholeheartedly believe that people that live in rural settings and small towns deserve outstanding healthcare. Thanks to Adena Health System, we do not have to travel to a major metropolitan area to receive outstanding healthcare.”