Health News 6/16/13
Father’s Day reminds us of the importance of the men in our lives. Whether fathers, husbands, sons or special friends, every man should be aware of essential screenings that could save his life. Many diseases can be detected and treated if found early.
However, the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality says men are 24 percent less likely than women to visit their doctor each year, and they are more prone to ignore symptoms, seeking care only when they end up in crisis. Ladies, it is often up to you to make sure your special guy takes good care of himself.
Some of the most common health issues facing men can be detected with simple screenings or tests. These include:
- Prostate cancer. The second most common cancer found in U.S. men. Screening can find the disease early, even before you experience symptoms.
- Colorectal cancer. The second most common cause of death from cancer. Colon cancer is often preventable with colonoscopy screening and the removal of colon polyps.
- High blood pressure. Age, weight, lifestyle and family history all contribute to high blood pressure (hypertension). Hypertension can lead to severe physical complications without any prior symptoms. If your blood pressure is high, work with your doctor to manage it.
- High cholesterol. A high level of LDL causes sticky plaque to build up in the walls of your arteries. Over time it can lead to heart attack, stroke and increased risk for heart disease. Lifestyle changes and medications can reduce LDL cholesterol.
- Type 2 diabetes. Often called the “silent killer,” 1/3 of Americans have diabetes and don’t even know it. However, if found early, diabetes can be controlled with diet, exercise, weight loss and medication.
Talk to a physician or provider about scheduling essential screening tests for yourself or the man in your life. Having the right screening performed at the right time is one of the most important things a man can do for his health and his family.
Do you need a primary care provider? Use our physician search tool to find one today!...Read More