The History of Adena Greenfield Medical Center
The roots of Adena Greenfield Medical Center are deep, stretching back a century. As we look toward the future, there is no doubt that this hospital will continue to change to meet the needs of our community. One thing that will always remain constant, however, is our commitment to providing quality healthcare services to the families of Greenfield and surrounding communities.
Here is a look at our history.
The two-story structure, known as the Boggess home, served as Greenfield’s hospital for approximately 74 years. The house, built in the mid 1800’s, became the local hospital in 1918. Over the years the hospital had many additions and changes. However, in 1992 the most significant change occurred when the old house was demolished to make way for a modern healthcare facility.
Stories regarding the construction of the stately house are somewhat unclear. Information dated 1859 indicates that Daniel Hull contracted with a construction company from Chillicothe to build a large home on a wooded lot on the edge of town. The home, while still under construction, was sold to John Eckman, a highly respected man who served on the village’s first town council. It is presumed that Hull didn’t have enough money to complete the project. Eckman and his family occupied the home for many years. In 1890, Dr. John Boggess, a dentist, purchased the home. It was Boggess who added the familiar front porch to the structure.
"Later the need for a hospital became apparent. Joe Caldwell, who had acquired title to the Boggess property, agreed to sell the land to the Greenfield Hospital Co. around year 1918,"" reads a past Greenfield Daily Times article. In 1933, Mrs. Florence Bobo, a registered nurse, managed the facility and operated it until November of 1941. She gave up management at that time and the hospital closed. However, the need for a hospital in the community was soon recognized and the citizens of Greenfield approved a bond issue for reopening the facility. After remodeling and re-equipping, Greenfield Municipal Hospital opened on January 14, 1945.
Over the years, Greenfield Municipal Hospital grew. To accommodate the growth in inpatient care, a new wing was built 1959. Another addition occurred in 1961.
In 1980, the hospital requested to be released from its municipal status to become a private nonprofit corporation. On January 1, 1981, the hospital became known as Greenfield Area Medical Center.
The early 1980s were a period of significant growth at the medical center. The surgical department re-opened in 1982, home health services began in 1983 and 1984 introduced the physical rehab unit.
In the late 1980s the Hospital’s Board of Trustees recognized the need for a modern, efficient hospital facility to support the on-going provision of healthcare services in the Greenfield community. A new hospital was planned at a cost in excess of $4 million. The project included demolition of the original house and much of the existing hospital structure.
In 1989 a capital campaign was initiated, with the goal of raising $300,000. The community, along with the hospital family, rallied for an intense fundraising period between August and December 1989. A variety of special events were held as well as general solicitation. Through the generosity of the community, the campaign exceeded its goal, raising a little more than $323,000.
Groundbreaking for the new hospital facility, which was built in sections around the existing hospital, was held on January 31, 1991. Construction began the next day. The new building was built in phases, allowing the hospital to remain fully operational throughout the project. The two-story home that housed the hospital for many years and had seen many patients, employees, visitors, volunteers and physicians come and go was finally demolished on Monday, Feb. 17, 1992. The destruction of the house was the last phase in the renovation project, which was completed in October 1992.
In 1994, the hospital’s rehab services received approval from the state of Ohio for additional beds. A remodeling and renovation project once again ensued to meet the needs of the population served. This project allowed the rehab unit to increase the number of beds from 10 to 16. Continued success in the department forced the outpatient services to relocate to an off-site facility in the fall of 1995.
In 1996, Home Health offices also moved to an off-site location to better accommodate the program.
In 1999, the center started an affiliation with Adena Health System and officially changed its name to Adena Greenfield Medical Center.
Browse our medical staff, read bios and watch videos to find a doctor that best fits you and your family.