Media Policy and Services
Adena’s Department of Corporate Communications: Media Policies and Services
Patient Condition Information
Ensuring patient privacy is paramount to Adena Health System’s mission. Members of the media requesting a patient condition must contact a member of our Media Relations team, and provide us with the patient’s first and last name. When releasing condition information, we strictly follow the federal regulations within the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA), which restricts the amount of information we may release to a single, one-word condition and the patient’s general location in the hospital. Conditions include:
- Undetermined: The patient is being assessed.
- Good: Vital signs are stable and within normal limits.
- Fair: Vital signs are stable and within normal limits, though the patient may be uncomfortable.
- Serious: Vital signs are unstable and not within normal limits. Patient is acutely ill. Critical: Vital signs are unstable and not within normal limits. Patient may be unconscious.
- Deceased: In most cases, we can confirm the death and time of death after the patient’s next of kin has been notified.
In some cases, a patient, family member or law enforcement may request complete confidentiality. In these cases we will honor this request and no information will be given on the patient’s condition, or if the patient is being treated at an Adena facility.
Adena Health System’s team of physicians, nurses and staff are experts on a wide array of healthcare issues, conditions and treatments. As part of our commitment to educate the community and region on issues that impact their health, we are pleased to offer our expertise. To arrange an interview, photo shoot, etc. with our healthcare experts, please contact a member of our Media Relations team and they will assist you in a timely manner.
To ensure the privacy of our patients, all working media visiting an Adena Health System property must be escorted by a member of our Media Relations team or an assigned designee. To arrange for a media escort, please contact a member of Adena’s Media Relations team.